My husband likes chicken. Most people do. And, like most people, he likes his chicken with a little breading and crunch. Chicken is fast food. Make it at home from quality ingredients and it’s the best!
I often make boneless chicken breasts in a similar fashion to these but I pound them out to make them thinner. This recipe uses boneless chicken breasts but they are not pounded thinner.
Husband loves the chicken fingers plain and he dips them in BBQ sauce. He also likes chicken parm. Again, who doesn’t. So I tried a simply version and he loved that too. (See variations at the end of the directions).
This is very, very easy to prepare (even on a weeknight) and is very easy to modify to your family’s taste.
This recipe uses one package of chicken and is enough for two or three.
Boneless, skinless chicken breast (or thighs if you prefer)
seasoned Panko and bread crumbs, mixed (or one or the other with your favorite seasoning…an Italian blend of spices works very well. Also I like to use a little panko because it is crunchier than breadcrumbs).
- Rinse and dry the chicken.
- With a knife or kitchen scissors (I prefer scissors), cut the chicken breast lengthwise.
- For one package of chicken (about 3 pieces) spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey mustard and 2 to 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise into a plastic bag. Drop the chicken into the bag. Carefully squeeze the bag until all the chicken is coated. Put the bag with the chicken, mustard, and mayonnaise aside for it to marinate. Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour a cup or so of the panko/bread crumbs that have been mixed with spices (you can buy an Italian bread crumbs or panko that is already mixed) onto a paper plate. (It is nice to be able to throw the plate away and not worry about contamination or washing up).
- After 10 to 15 minutes of marinating, take the chicken, one piece at a time, and coat it with the panko/bread crumb mixture.
- Place the marinated and coated chicken on a rimmed baking sheet covered with aluminum foil.
- Place the tray with chicken in a 375 degree oven for about 25 to 35 minutes. Check the chicken after 20 minutes to be sure it is getting done. Look for the coating to be slightly browned.
VARIATION…when the chicken is done, spoon your favorite tomato sauce over it and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Put back in the oven to just melt the cheese. Serve with pasta or on a roll for a chicken parm sandwich!