I follow a low carbohydrate lifestyle so this recipe is adapted to fit.
Zucchini have started to appear in the farmers’ markets and, after a long winter of broccoli and cauliflower, zucchini makes a nice change.
The zucchini pictured here are early pickings so they are relatively small…but more than adequate for this meal. This recipe can easily be adapted to larger zucchini by adding more stuffing ingredients and baking the boats longer.
zucchini, ground meat (of your choosing…turkey, chicken, pork, beef, bison, ostrich, non-meat), powdered onion, powdered garlic, grated parmesan, mozzarella, and muenster cheese (or your favorite).
I stuffed one zucchini for two servings. I used about a 1/2 pound of meat and about a 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
- wash and trim the zucchini.
- cut the zucchini in half lengthwise
- scoop out the center
- for the stuffing …brown the ground meat, add spices, and the zucchini you scooped out
- take stuffing mixture off the heat and let cool (about 10 minutes)
- mix in shredded cheese
- spoon the meat, zucchini, and cheese mixture into the zucchini “boat”.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes. Check to be sure you can put a fork through the zucchini boat.
Even my husband liked it!